Graduate and Professional Degree Forgivable Loan (STSC)

The Graduate and Professional Degree Forgivable Loan (STSC) Program has been discontinued. Awards will be made only to renewal applicants during the the 2017-18 and subsequent years. Due to budget constraints, no awards will be made to renewal applicants for the 2018-19 year.

Program Overview:
Mississippi funds are available for those interested in obtaining a Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine, Masters in Prosthetics and Orthotics, or Doctor of Podiatric Medicine in exchange for employment in the appropriate field in the State of Mississippi.

Rules and Regulations:
STSC Rules and Regulations

Important Dates:
Application dates: October 1 – March 31
Document deadline: April 30, except for the Letter of Acceptance, which may be submitted through June 30

Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis, as funding is available. However, priority is given to eligible renewal applicants.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be a legal resident of the State of Mississippi for one year prior to application.
  • Be fully admitted to an approved out-of-state institution and enroll full-time.
  • Agree to serve as a licensed health care provider in an approved discipline in Mississippi.

Award Amount and Length of Eligibility:

  • Average award amounts range from $7,000 annually for masters degrees to $15,900 for doctoral degrees, depending on the program.

Service Obligation:

  • STSC is first and foremost a loan. The loan can be forgiven (discharged) on the basis of one year’s service in the State of Mississippi for each year of loan received. Service is defined as the practice of medicine (patient care) in the specialty area for which the loan was received.
  • LIABILITY: Forgivable loan recipients who choose not to fulfill the service obligation will be required to repay the loan in full with interest.

To Apply – Renewal Applicants:

  • Complete the online application. The online application must be completed each and every academic year for which the applicant seeks aid.
  • Submit a letter of good standing from the Registrar’s Office.
  • Some renewal applicants with a break in enrollment will be required to submit two forms of residency documentation:
    Preferred Residency Documents:

    1. FAFSA
    2. Mississippi driver’s license (can be submitted electronically during the online application)Alternate Residency Documents Accepted:
    State Tax Return (NOT Federal) for the current tax filing year. Dependent students would provide a signed copy of the first two pages of the parent’s return. Independent students would provide a signed copy of the student’s return. Am I dependent or independent?
    — Homestead Exemption
    — Voter Registration
    — Vehicle Registration
    Note: Our office receives FAFSA results electronically for all Mississippi residents. When possible, the state tax return or Mississippi driver’s license pending document will be replaced by the FAFSA.

Documents must be RECEIVED, not post-marked, by the published document deadline date of April 30.

How to Submit Supporting Documents

After the Application – the STSC Award Process:

  • If funding is available, the Office will make award offers as soon as possible after receiving an appropriation, but no later than mid-June.
  • Renewal applicants must sign a Private Loan Self-Certification Form every year for which the applicant receives funds. The self-certification form must be signed with pen and returned in hard-copy.
  • When the Self-certification form has been received, the Office will notify the student’s attending institution that the student has been awarded.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. Is STSC available to me for summer school?
    No. STSC is available during the regular academic year only.
  2. What if I drop below full-time enrollment during a semester?
    A student must maintain full-time enrollment. If a student drops below full-time status during a semester or trimester of the academic year, that student is ineligible to receive funds during the next semester or trimester of full-time enrollment of a regular academic year.
  3. Why must I reapply every year?
    Current legislation requires “…the board shall create a renewal application for each student who received the award for one or more terms during the immediately preceding academic year.” At a minimum, a student must file the following renewal document no later than the close of business on the deadline date: online application.
  4. As a recipient of STSC, I have a contractual obligation to work in the appropriate field in Mississippi after graduation. What if I am unable to find a job immediately after graduation?
    All recipients are eligible for a one-year (12-month) grace period while seeking employment. After one year, recipients must submit documentation of proper employment or start making payments to repay the loan.
  5. How do I submit supporting documents to the Office of Student Financial Aid?
    How to Submit Supporting Documents