Health Care Professions Forgivable Loan for Undergraduates (HCP-UG)

The Health Care Professions Forgivable Loan (HCP-UG) Program has been discontinued. Awards will be made only to renewal applicants during the the 2017-18 and subsequent years when funding is available.   Due to budget constraints, no awards will be made to renewal applicants for the 2018-19 year.

Program Overview:
The primary objectives of this program are to provide educational opportunities to students majoring in speech pathology and psychology and to address Mississippi’s health care shortage area’s by providing a constant source of qualified speech pathologists and psychologists for Mississippi’s state-supported health institutions. HCP-UG awards will be made available, to the extent of appropriated funds, to persons seeking a bachelor’s degree at one of Mississippi’s institutions of higher learning in exchange for employment in a state health institution in the State of Mississippi.

Rules and Regulations:
HCP Rules and Regulations

Important Dates:
Application dates: October 1 – March 31
Document deadline: April 30
Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis, as funding is available. However, priority is given to eligible renewal applicants.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be classified as a Junior or Senior undergraduate student for the upcoming school year.
  • Be a legal resident of the State of Mississippi for one year prior to application.
  • Enroll full-time at an approved postsecondary institution in Mississippi in a program of study leading to a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Have and maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher 0n a 4.0 scale each semester/trimester.
  • Major in Speech Pathology or Psychology.
  • You are not currently in default or delinquent on any federal, sate, or local educational loan.

Award Amount and Length of Eligibility:

  • The HCP awards up to $1,500 per academic year for no more than two (2) calendar years.

Service Obligation:
The loan repayment obligation can be discharged on the basis of one year’s service for one year of loan received. Service must be rendered at an eligible state-operated health institution.

To Apply – Renewal Applicants:

  • Complete the online application. The online application must be completed each and every academic year for which the applicant seeks aid.

After the Application – the HCP-UG Award Process:

  1. If funding is available, the Office will make award offers as soon as possible after receiving an appropriation, but no later than mid-June.
  2. Renewal applicants must sign a Private Loan Self-Certification Form every year for which the applicant receives funds. The self-certification form must be signed with pen and returned in hard-copy.
  3. When the self-certification form has been received, the Office will notify the student’s attending institution that the student has been awarded.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. Is HCP available to me for summer school?
    No. HCP is available during the regular academic year only.
  2. What if I drop below full-time enrollment during a semester?
    A student must maintain full-time enrollment. If a student drops below full-time status during a semester or trimester of the academic year, that student is ineligible to receive funds during the next semester or trimester of full-time enrollment of a regular academic year.
  3. Why must I reapply every year?
    Current legislation requires “…the board shall create a renewal application for each student who received the award for one or more terms during the immediately preceding academic year.” At a minimum, a student must file the following renewal document no later than the close of business on the deadline date: online application.
  4. What if my GPA does not meet the minimum requirement?
    If your cumulative GPA is less than 2.5 at the end of a semester/trimester, you will lose the HCP award for the next semester/trimester of enrollment during a normal academic year. In order to regain eligibility, your cumulative GPA must meet the minimum 2.5 GPA requirement.
  5. As a recipient of HCP, I have a contractual obligation to work in a state-operated health institution in Mississippi after graduation. What if I am unable to find a job immediately after graduation?
    All recipients are eligible for a one-year (12-month) grace period while seeking employment. After one year, recipients must submit documentation of proper employment or start making payments to repay the loan.
  6. How do I submit supporting documents to the Office of Student Financial Aid?
    How to Submit Supporting Documents