The law allows postsecondary institutions to require documentation from a student before determining a student’s eligibility for accommodations based on a disability.

Generally speaking, a student’s IEP or 504 Plan from high school will NOT be sufficient documentation.

Each college or university will have its own documentation requirements, but, in general, colleges require documentation that is current, comprehensive, details the CURRENT impact of the diagnosed disorder and gives recommendations for reasonable accommodations. Documentation should be provided by a medical/psychological professional who is licensed to make the diagnosis and who is not related to the student.

As stated, each college or university will have its own unique documentation requirements, so it is vital that you check with your school of choice, IN ADVANCE, so that you know what documentation they need and have time to get the documentation to the college. Be aware that retesting may be necessary if your documentation is too old or is incomplete in some way.