Veterinary Medicine Minority Forgivable Loan (VMMP)
Due to budget constraints, no awards will be made to new or renewal applicants for the Veterinary Medicine Minority Forgivable Loan (VMMP) program for the 2016-17 year.
The primary objectives of this program are to provide education opportunities to minority students who wish to pursue a Veterinary Medicine degree. VMMP awards will be made available, to the extent of appropriated funds, to persons seeking a Veterinary Medicine degree at Mississippi State University – College of Veterinary Medicine in exchange for employment in the State of Mississippi.
Application dates: January 1 – March 31
Document deadline: March 31, except for the Letter of Acceptance, which may be submitted through June 30.
The dates are important as the number of awards and recipients are dependent upon available funds
You are eligible if all the following apply:
- You are a current legal resident of Mississippi
- You will be accepted for enrollment full-time to the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University.
- You have been classified as a minority student by the Registrar’s Office at Mississippi State University.
- Dependent on the availability of funds, selection shall be based on a first-come, first served basis of all eligible applicants and recommendation by the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Must not presently be in default or previously defaulted on an educational loan
Review the complete program Rules and Regulations: VMMP Rules and Regulations
- The award may not exceed an annual amount equal to the cost of tuition for any one recipient per academic year for a maximum of four (4) years.
- All recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress standards of the institution to continue to receive funds under the renewal process.
Post Graduate Training
Post-graduate training in Veterinary Medicine must be taken at an accredited institution and may not exceed four (4) years.
The loan to service obligation must be rendered within the State of Mississippi for a period of not less than one year’s service for one year of loan received. Service is defined as full-time employment as a Veterinarian.
The Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid will make awards on a first-come first-served basis, as funding is available. However, priority is given to renewal applicants who complete the renewal process by the deadlines.
- Complete the online application. This online application must be completed each academic year whether you are a prior recipient or a first-time applicant.
- Submit the following supporting documents:
- Signed copy of the first two pages of student’s MS State Tax Return for the current year.
- Copy of current Mississippi valid driver’s license, unless you elected to submit it electronically during the online application
- An official statement from the Registrar’s Office at Mississippi State University classifying the applicant as a minority student.
- Copy of an official letter of acceptance to the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University.
Frequently Asked Questions
- THE VMMP PROGRAM REQUIRES A COPY OF MY LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE TO THE MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF VETERINARY MEDICINE. THE LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE WILL NOT BE FORWARDED TO ME UNTIL AFTER YOUR MARCH 31st DEADLINE. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
The only exception to the submission of documents is the letter of acceptance which may be submitted after the deadline but must be submitted by July 31st.
- WHAT HAPPENS IF I FAIL, WITHDRAW, OR HAVE TO REPEAT ANY YEAR?
Should a recipient fail, withdraw, or have to repeat any year, he/she is suspended from participation in the Program and his/her awards are stopped until such time as the proper official at his/her institution informs the Board that he/she is ready to advance.
- WILL I BE ELIGIBLE TO DEFER MY EMPLOYMENT OBLIGATION TO PURSUE POST GRADUATE TRAINING?
Post-graduate training must be taken at an accredited institution and shall not exceed four (4) years.
- I KNOW THAT AS A RECIPIENT UNDER THE VMMP PROGRAM I HAVE A CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION TO PRACTICE IN THE FIELD VETERINARY MEDICINE IN THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI. WHAT IF I AM UNABLE TO FIND A JOB IMMEDIATELY AFTER COMPLETING MY DEGREE?
Upon completion of the degree program and at the discretion of the Board, all recipients are eligible for a one year grace period while seeking employment.