Mississippi Teacher Loan Repayment Program (MTLR)
Mississippi funds are available to help teachers pay back their undergraduate loans if they currently hold an Alternate Route Teaching License and currently teach in a Mississippi Teacher Critical Shortage Area or Critical Subject Area.
Application dates: January 1 – March 31
Document deadline: April 30
The dates are important as the number of awards and recipients are dependent upon available funds and awards are made on a first-come, first-serve basis.
You are eligible if all of the following apply:
- You are currently holding a Mississippi Alternate Route Teaching License.
- You are currently holding a teaching position in a Mississippi public school district located in a critical teacher or subject shortage area.
- You have undergraduate student loans in your name. Perkins and Graduate-level loans do not qualify.
- You are not currently in default or delinquent on any Federal, Sate, or local educational loan.
- You have not received funds from the Critical Needs Teacher Forgivable Loan Program or the William Winter Teacher Forgivable Loan Program.
Click here for a complete listing of eligibility requirements: MTLR Rules and Regulations
- Recipients may receive up to $3000 annually toward their undergraduate loans for a maximum of four years. Awards are paid directly to the loan servicer. Recipients must apply each year.
- MTLR recipients are not eligible for any other state aid.
- Complete the online application by the application date of March 31. This online application must be completed each academic year whether you are a prior recipient or a first-time applicant.
- Submit a copy of either your 3-year or 5-year Alternate Route Teaching License (a 1-yr interim certificate does not qualify). Send it to the Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid, 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211.
- Submit a copy of your current teaching contract showing that you currently teach in either a critical shortage area or critical subject area. Send it to the Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid, 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211.
- Complete and send in a copy of the Loan Data Verification sheet showing where your undergraduate loans are currently being serviced. Send it to the Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid, 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211.
Frequently Asked Question
I consolidated my loans. Do I still qualify for the program?
Yes. If you consolidated your undergraduate loans, just list your current loan servicer on the Loan Data Verification Sheet.